Wednesday, August 16, 2017

I wallpapered the ceiling in the dining room — only 400 s.f. left to go

I wallpapered the ceiling. I’m pretty darned proud. Yes, that’s the dining room ceiling in my Mahalo Lounge, reverse-bird’s-eye view, artsy fartsy.

The wallpaper is a vintage Thybony chinoiserie lattice design. I found it on ebay. It was uni-directional, which I did not want. So, I cut it into 27″ squares and (1) as I went and tesselated them and (2) I put them up on the diagonal.

Cutting the paper into squares like this also made the paper easier to work with, what with the need to work up.

Tip: My plan worked well with this particular paper because there were ‘bamboo’ lines on each side. These bamboo lines created outlines around each piece as I went. I am not sure this idea would work with a lot of other designs of wallpapers. You’d need to think it through.

The wallpaper also was that heavy, textured vinyl stuff. This also made it easier to work with, as it never ever wanted to tear. I used wallpaper paste from my local hardware store. I was sure, also, to size the ceilings first.

I’m still in sneak-peek mode. So I am not showing you much. I will say: The wallpapered dining room ceiling looks awesome.

Tip: When you cut the squares, always use a tee-square to ensure you’re square. Then, the squares should go up like a breeze. I did not use the tee-square at first, and stuff started going sideways, and it was kind of ACK!, and then I had to adjust, but I was able to puzzle through a solution, however, it took a long time to adjust everything piece by piece, and some of the long lines are crooked, but no one will ever notice especially after two sips of my rum punch. I think that it took me four weeks to do this ceiling, working off and on, off and on, off and on.

Umm. I didn’t have enough to finish. Which I knew when I started. There are triangles left in each corner. I have a plan; stay tuned.

Meanwhile, if anyone has a spare roll, or half-roll, of Thybony FT-1075 around, I neeeeeeeeeed it!

I also plan to wallpaper the rest of the room. I adore wallpaper. Adore, adore, adore. It’s worth all the trouble. Be epic.

The post I wallpapered the ceiling in the dining room — only 400 s.f. left to go appeared first on Retro Renovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment