Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Robert wants our help: Who made his vintage drainboard sink?

Who manufactured Robert’s drainboard sink? 10 years of blogging, and I am stymied. I’ve never seen holes in the backsplash of a drainboard sink — holes presumably used for anchors for inserts and a … logo? Can anyone figure this out?

Robert writes:

Hi Pam, do you know the maker of my drainboard sink? I just had it re-porcelained in sky blue to match my Chambers stove, but there are two decorative panels on the backsplash that are missing and I’d like to find a picture of what they might have looked like so I can fabricate something to take their place. There’s also a hole for what I am guessing was the original badge/emblem, but it’s missing too. Any guesses? Thanks.

I asked a few more questions. Where did you get the sink? And, is it possible that someone drilled into the backplash at some point to cover it with another material? 

Robert replied:

The holes look too uniform.  I’m a pretty fair fabricator, and they look stamped in, and not drilled, so I’m thinking they are original.  But I might be wrong.

Hmmm. I looked in my archives and online for a while to try and find the answer. Youngstown made sinks with molded recesses on the backsplash like the ones seen in your sink. But, I can find, and can’t recall ever seeing one, or any other brand, with decorative inserts. 

Reader: Any ideas?

The post Robert wants our help: Who made his vintage drainboard sink? appeared first on Retro Renovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment